A pedestrian was injured after being struck by a car in Fresno on Sunday morning, May 7, 2023.
According to the Fresno Police Department, the incident occurred around 2:00 a.m. in Van Ness Avenue and Merced Street.
As per the report, the car hit the person after shots were fired during a disturbance. The victim was taken to the hospital with moderate injuries. Fortunately, no one was struck by the gunfire.
The officials have not disclosed any other information regarding the incident.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fresno
Pedestrians in California who sustain injuries in car accidents have the same legal entitlements as those who file personal injury or wrongful death claims. It is essential to take prompt action if you or your loved one has experienced severe injuries due to someone else’s negligence.
In the unfortunate event of an accident that results in injury or death due to someone’s carelessness, our proficient legal team is available to assist you in filing a claim with your insurance company.
You can rely on our most trusted Fresno pedestrian accident lawyers at Arash Law, under the direction of Arash Khorsandi, Esq., to effectively represent you in these court proceedings. Our firm has recovered more than $500 million for California clients.
If you want to speak with one of our lawyers, please call (888) 488-1391 or fill out the “Do I Have a Case?” form.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents can be severe, even fatal. Whether you’re a pedestrian hit by a vehicle or a driver who hit a pedestrian, taking crucial steps to protect yourself and your legal rights is vital.
These steps include seeking medical attention, contacting the authorities, documenting the scene, and consulting a personal injury lawyer.
- Seek Medical Attention: Call 911 or seek medical attention immediately if anyone is injured.
- Move to Safety: If possible, move yourself and others to a safe location away from traffic.
- Contact the Police: Call the police to report the accident and provide them with all relevant details.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the driver involved in the accident.
- Gather Witness Information: If there were witnesses to the accident, get their contact information.
- Document the Accident Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, including any damages or injuries.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Let your insurance company know about the accident immediately.
- Consult a Lawyer: If you have been injured, consider consulting with our Fresno personal injury lawyers to help you protect your legal rights and pursue compensation for damages.
Pedestrian Collision Statistics
In 2020, the United States experienced 6,516 pedestrian fatalities due to traffic accidents, translating to an average of 18 pedestrian deaths every day or 125 deaths every week. That means a pedestrian was killed every 81 minutes due to traffic accidents.
From 2011 to 2020, pedestrian fatalities accounted for 17% of all traffic fatalities. In 2020, there was a 3.9% increase in pedestrian fatalities from 2019, a smaller increase compared to the 6.8% increase in overall traffic fatalities from the previous year.
Additionally, there were 54,769 pedestrians injured in traffic accidents in 2020, a 28% decrease from the last year. Injured pedestrians accounted for 2% of individuals injured in traffic accidents in 2020.