Local authorities have confirmed that the initial incident occurred around 1:45 a.m. at the crossroads of 19th and Mission streets.
Shortly after, the same driver was involved in another collision with a different vehicle just minutes later, which was reported to law enforcement at 1:57 a.m. Following these events, four of the injured victims were taken to the hospital and are expected to recover, while the fifth person declined medical assistance
The report stated that Calderon V., an alleged intoxicated driver, struck these individuals while they were crossing a crosswalk. Moments later, he was also part of a two-car collision two blocks from the initial incident.
Both drivers involved in the second collision remained at the scene, and the police identified Vargas as the suspect in the earlier hit-and-run incident.
As a result, Vargas has been arrested and is currently held in San Francisco County jail. He faces three charges, including failure to stop at a red light, leaving the scene of a collision, and driving under the influence of alcohol, resulting in injuries.
The investigation into the incident continues.
Our Skilled San Francisco DUI Accident Victim Lawyers
Individuals who have experienced accidents caused by drivers who were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs have the option to pursue legal recourse to seek compensation. These victims confront various difficulties, including financial strains from lost wages, medical bills, and related challenges.
Our legal firm handles cases involving DUI-related accidents throughout California, including San Francisco. Our primary commitment revolves around providing unwavering assistance and robust advocacy for the rights of these victims. Individuals driving while impaired present a significant hazard to others sharing the road. Holding such individuals responsible for the harm they inflict is crucial for upholding justice and advancing road safety.
You can rely on our most trusted San Francisco DUI accident victim lawyers at Arash Law, under the direction of Arash Khorsandi, Esq., to help you with the insurance claim or effectively represent you in court proceedings. Our firm has recovered more than $500 Million for California clients.
If you want to speak with one of our lawyers, please call (888) 488-1391 or fill out the “Do I Have a Case?” form.
Navigating the Aftermath of a DUI Collision
Going through a DUI accident can be a challenging and emotionally taxing experience. In the aftermath of such an incident, it is essential to understand the necessary actions to protect your rights and prioritize your well-being.
This section provides valuable information and advice on the essential steps following a DUI accident.
- Ensure Safety: Prioritize safety for yourself and others involved. Move to a safe location, away from traffic or any immediate dangers.
- Seek Medical Attention: Check yourself and others for injuries, and immediately seek medical attention for anyone who needs it. Even if injuries seem minor, getting a thorough medical evaluation is essential.
- Report the Accident: Contact local law enforcement to report the DUI accident. Provide them with accurate and detailed information about the incident.
- Gather Information: Collect essential details about the accident, including the other driver’s contact information, insurance details, and license plate number. Also, gather contact information from any witnesses present at the scene.
- Document the Scene: Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, injuries, road conditions, and other relevant factors. This documentation can be valuable for insurance claims and legal purposes.
- Refrain from Admissions or Statements: Avoid admitting fault or making any statements about the accident without consulting an attorney. Announcements made at the scene could be used against you later.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Inform your insurance company about the accident, providing them with accurate and truthful information. Follow their instructions regarding filing a claim.
- Consult our California Drunk Driving Accident Victim Lawyer: Seek legal advice from an experienced DUI accident lawyer specializing in personal injury cases. They can guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and help you seek appropriate compensation for your damages.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep copies of medical records, accident reports, insurance correspondence, and any other relevant documents related to the accident. These will be important for your case.
- Follow Medical Treatment: Adhere to all prescribed medical treatments and attend follow-up appointments. Document your medical expenses and keep records of any lost wages or other financial losses resulting from the accident.
DUI Accident Statistics
Engaging in driving while affected by drugs, whether they are legally prescribed medications, illicit substances, or marijuana, is recognized as a criminal offense and leads to significant legal and financial penalties.
For individuals convicted of this offense for the first time, the associated costs can reach up to $10,000. In California, these expenses can surge to around $13,500. Alarming data from 2018 demonstrates that 42% of drivers involved in fatal accidents had tested positive for drugs, and this proportion continues to increase annually.
The Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) and various stakeholders are collaborating to raise awareness regarding the perils of drug-impaired driving. Their collective efforts aim to mitigate these risks, reduce traffic fatalities and injuries, and ensure safer roads across California.