According to the Riverside Police Department, the incident occurred at 10191 Victoria Ave around 12:06 a.m.
RPD and Riverside Fire Department personnel responded to reports of a solo-vehicle crash into a tree. Upon arrival at the scene, they found the pickup truck with two occupants and major front-end damage.
The preliminary investigation indicated that the vehicle may have been heading the wrong way on a one-way street at high speed when it slammed into the palm tree. The driver is also being investigated for driving under the influence.
The passenger was pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver was taken to a local hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries.
An investigation is underway to determine what caused the crash and if there were other parties involved.
Dedicated DUI Accident Lawyers in Riverside, CA
Avoiding DUI accidents is as simple as not drinking and driving. Drunk drivers must pay for the medical expenses of their victims. Financial difficulties can arise for victims due to medical bills and lost wages.
Although DUI accidents are extremely difficult to prevent completely, California law protects those injured due to these accidents.
Our renowned Riverside drunk driving accident victim lawyers at Arash Law, led by Arash Khorsandi, Esq., will guide you with your insurance claim or effectively represent you in court proceedings. As one of California’s most successful law firms, we have recovered more than $500 Million for clients.
To schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers, call (888) 488-1391 or complete our “Do I Have a Case?” form.
What Should You Do After a DUI Accident?
When someone drives under the influence, they endanger themselves and those around them. Protect yourself and your loved ones after a collision by taking extra precautions. This checklist will help you deal with its aftermath:
- Get medical help immediately. Also, check the condition of the other people involved.
- Inform the police about the collision. A police investigation will be conducted to determine whether the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Get essential details such as the driver’s name, contact details, license plate number, and insurance information.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including the damaged vehicles and the victims’ injuries.
- Report the accident to your insurance company and provide the necessary information regarding the accident.
- Speak with our DUI accident lawyers in California. They’ll defend your rights and ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Fatal DUI Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drunk driving accidents cause 32 deaths daily, one every 45 minutes. Drunk driving caused 11,654 traffic deaths in 2020, an increase of 14% over 2019.
The California DUI Management Information System found that fatal accidents involving alcohol increased by 5.8% between 2016 and 2017. Drinking and driving pose a risk to everyone on the road, including the driver.
California lost 949 lives due to drunk driving in 2019. This is 2.4 per 100,000 people, while the national rate is 3.1 per 100,000. Drunk driving was a factor in 28.1% of road fatalities in the US and 26.3% in California in 2014.