The San Diego Police Department reported that the collision happened around 3:18 p.m. on the 3600 block of 6th Avenue.
The elderly pedestrian was on a crosswalk when he was struck by a Dodge Caravan, which was driven by a 79-year-old female driver.
The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to the hospital for treatment of his pelvic fracture, fractured left arm, and head lacerations.
Additional details show the Dodge driver headed towards 6th Ave. after the light turned green. Investigations into the cause of the collision are still underway.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in San Diego, CA
In San Diego, pedestrians have the same right to safety as drivers and motorcyclists. You could be eligible for financial compensation if a driver’s negligence caused the death of your loved one as a pedestrian.
Seek the advice of our notable San Diego pedestrian accident lawyers at Arash Law, supervised by Arash Khorsandi, Esq., who will assist you in filing a claim and obtaining the maximum compensation for your deceased loved one. Our clients have been awarded compensation totaling $500 Million.
9 Steps to Take Immediately After A Pedestrian Accident in San Diego
It is tough to think clearly after being hit by a vehicle, let alone if you were injured. But what you say and do at the crash scene can significantly affect the outcome of a subsequent claim you file against the at-fault party. These tips may help you avoid doing something that could reduce the value of your personal injury claim:
- Call the police as soon as the accident occurs and ensure an officer creates an accident report.
- Take photos of your injuries, the scene of the accident, property damage, the weather conditions, the road conditions, and the vehicle that hit you.
- Take pictures of the at-fault driver’s license, insurance card, and license plate.
- Get the names and contact information of all eyewitnesses or anyone who may have seen anything.
- See a doctor or other healthcare professional immediately, and tell them about every affected part of your body.
- Keep a journal about your injuries and the recovery process, detailing how you feel, the treatment you receive, and what costs you pay.
- Do not speak to the insurance adjuster or accept a settlement offer until you talk to an experienced lawyer.
- Stay off social media and avoid posting about being in an accident or the circumstances of your accident.
- Contact our California pedestrian accident lawyers and car accident lawyers as soon as possible to discuss your case.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the data provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 7,388 pedestrians were killed in 2021. These numbers comprised about 17 percent of the total crash deaths in the US.
Most pedestrian fatalities occur on major roads, with 4,464 recorded deaths. Based on the data provided by the California Office of Traffic Safety in 2020, 452 victims were either killed or injured in pedestrian-related crashes in San Diego.
A majority of these pedestrian accidents happen when drivers fail to yield to pedestrians or stop suddenly. If you take your loved one’s case to court, you should speak with a lawyer who focuses on these situations.