According to the Chula Vista Police Department, the fatal collision occurred around 7:50 p.m. in the parking lot of a Starbucks at 3047 Bonita Road.
The pedestrian was struck by a 75-year-old driver, but it was unclear what caused it. The victim was transported to UCSD Hillcrest Hospital but shortly died from the sustained injuries.
The driver stayed at the scene and cooperated with investigators. The fatal collision was not suspected to have been caused by drugs or alcohol, and no other vehicles were involved.
As the investigation is ongoing, the identity and age of the victim remain unknown.
Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, San Diego County
It is beneficial and ideal to seek legal counsel from a personal injury attorney if you or someone you know has been involved in an accident due to another person’s negligence.
Contact one of our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers for free initial consultations. We will assess the specific circumstances of your case, explain the legal procedures involved, and consider essential factors that could impact the potential compensation you may receive.
Seek legal advice from our top San Diego County pedestrian accident lawyers at Arash Law, under Arash Khorsandi, Esq., to help you with the insurance claim or effectively represent you in court proceedings. Our firm has recovered more than $500 Million for clients and is widely acknowledged for its success and reputation as one of California’s leading personal injury law firms.
9 Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident
It is tough to think clearly after being hit by a vehicle, let alone if you are injured. But what you say and do at the crash scene can significantly affect the outcome of a subsequent claim you file against the party at fault. The following tips may help you avoid doing something that could reduce the value of your personal injury claim:
- Call the police as soon as the accident occurs and ensure an officer creates an accident report.
- Take photos of your injuries, the accident scene, property damage, the weather conditions, the road conditions, and the vehicle that hit you.
- Take pictures of the at-fault driver’s license, insurance card, and license plate.
- Get all eyewitnesses’ names, contact information, or anyone who may have seen anything.
- See a doctor or other healthcare professional immediately, and tell them about every affected part of your body.
- Keep a journal about your injuries and the recovery process, detailing how you feel, the treatment you receive, and what costs you pay.
- Do not speak to the insurance adjuster or accept a settlement offer until you talk to an experienced lawyer.
- Stay off social media and avoid posting about being in an accident or the circumstances of your accident.
- Discuss your accident with one of our reliable California pedestrian accident lawyers or car accident lawyers. Please contact us at (888) 488-1391.
Fatal Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, hit-and-run accidents caused 24% of pedestrian fatalities in 2020. Deaths from pedestrians increased by 46.2% between 2011 and 2020, while deaths from other traffic increased by 14.4%.
The number of pedestrian deaths between 2019 and 2020 has increased by 3.9%, in spite of the fact that there have been 13.2% fewer vehicles on the roads during that same period.
In 2021, 7,388 pedestrians and 961 bicyclists were killed in motor vehicle crashes, while approximately 60,000 pedestrians and 41,000 bicyclists were injured. Approximately 2% of crash fatalities were caused by bicyclists, and about 17% were caused by pedestrians.