“He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client.” ~ Anonymous
Is it too much to ask to be kind to attorneys for only one day? The jury says No! “International Be Kind To Lawyers Day” is on Tuesday, April 9, 2019, and is a simple way to show the lawyers in your life that you care about them:
Lawyers throughout the globe get a lot of grief just for being lawyers. Jokes are made about them, and they consistently rank as one of the least appreciated jobs on the planet – ranked just above advertisers including car salespeople.
When ordinary people want help drafting a will, managing a business, filing a claim after a car accident or evading jail time – to who do they flock? Attorneys! That’s right. This love/hate relationship often tips to the hate side of the ledger. And this needs to end.
According to the American Bar Association, there are 1,143,358 active and inactive lawyers in the U.S. Every year American lawyers donate hundreds of thousands of hours of their time to work on pro bono cases. Pro bono means “done without compensation for the public good.”
International Be Kind To Lawyers Day is the brainchild of non-lawyer Steve Hughes. One day as Steve was putting away some decorations from National Bubble Wrap Day his thoughts gravitated to National Ice Cream Day, and then it hit him. Why not a special day for attorneys? Lawyers are just as great as bubble wrap and ice cream, in reality, in several ways they’re better. So, the idea for International Be Kind To Lawyers Day was born.
After thorough outlining, comprehensive research, and many reviews by a team of legal experts, International Be Kind To Lawyers Day was established as a holiday celebrated yearly on the secondary Tuesday in April. The date was picked because it is strategically sandwiched between April Fool’s Day (April 1st) and U.S. Tax Day (April 15th).
We should remember that Lawyers are put in the rough position of having to stand up for their client, and make sure that they get them the best outcomes they can for them. Before considering the years of school it requires to do this effectively, understand that it requires a particular person to defend their client, whatever the charge, without bias. Here is a fun, short list of ideas to get your legal kindness rolling:
- Take your favorite lawyer out to breakfast or lunch
- Send your lawyer a “just cause” greeting card.
- Give your lawyer flowers, a cookie basket, or fruit bouquet.
- Refrain from telling attorney jokes for 24 hours.
- Watch your favorite legal drama and pretend you’re the one delivering the compelling closing argument.
- Make some easy repairs around the house with a gavel instead of your hammer.
- Slip words like “I object!” or “You’re out of order!” in your everyday conversations.
- Take notes at a meeting on a legal pad.
Neat Facts About Lawyers To Impress Your Friends With
Here’s a list of notable personalities who attended law school, but are remembered for something besides than the law.
- Author Henry James
- Iconic football coach Vince Lombardi
- Keyboardist for The Doors – Ray Manzarek
- 26 American Presidents such as Lincoln, FDR, and Obama
- Legendary Author John Grisham
- “Law & Order” co-star and ex-US Senator Fred Thompson
Notable Quotes About Attorneys and the Law
“Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker, the lawyer has a superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
“The good lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency, and qualifies all his qualifications, but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson