Kim Kardashian stated in Vogue’s May issue that, after 12 years of starring on Keeping Up with the Kardashians and various spinoffs, she has a new aspiration: to become an attorney. Kardashian states she was inspired after she triumphantly convinced President Trump to reduce the prison sentence of Alice Marie Johnson, a grandmother serving life in prison without parole for a drug crime.
Could Kim-Kay Be The Next “Star” Attorney?
Kardashian said, “The White House called me to advise to help change the system of clemency,” she stated, “and I’m sitting in the Roosevelt Room with, like, a judge who had sentenced criminals and a lot of really powerful people and I just sat there, like, Oh, snap. I need to know more.”
Since Kardashian did not graduate from college, she cannot attend law school to become a lawyer. However, there is another pathway available to hopeful California lawyers apprenticeship.
What most of the media and the public don’t know about Kim Kardashian
She has been working with activist Van Jones and attorney Jessica Jackson, co-founders of #cut50, a nationwide bipartisan advocacy group on criminal-justice reform, for several months, touring prisons, petitioning governors, and frequenting meetings at the White House.
Plus last summer, she made the extraordinary decision—one she acknowledged would shock people: to start a four-year law apprenticeship, with the intention of taking the bar exam in 2022
In addition to the costs saved during law school, Kim is also saving time and money in the law school application process. Just taking the LSAT – The Law School Admissions Test – costs $190, in addition to registering for the Credential Assembly Service (required for most law schools) which costs $195, the law school report from CAS which costs $45 per school, and LSAT preparation, with prep courses costing thousands of dollars, and students preparing for the LSAT over several months in order to improve their score enough to attend top law schools.
To become a lawyer, for four years Kardashian must:
- Study at least 18 hours per week for 48 weeks to receive credit for one year of legal studies. She must complete at least four years of legal studies at a reputable law firm such as Arash Law, or Judge’s Chambers before she can take the California Bar exam.
- Personally shadow exemplarily “mentor attorneys” for four years
- Present reports every six months summarizing her studies
- After she has finished one year of legal education, she must successfully pass the First-Year Law Students’ Examination (FYLSX), aka “The Baby Bar”. The exam includes questions about contracts, criminal law, and torts.
- Pass the California bar exam, presumably the most difficult in the country.
- Apply for Determination of Moral Character plus pass a criminal background check. Items which could deflect a moral character examination include prior felonies.
- Pass the Multi-state Professional Responsibility Exam, which tests her knowledge of attorney ethics including professional conduct.
Other states where you can become a licensed lawyer without attending a law school include Vermont, Washington, and Virginia.
Did You Know?
Before mocking her, don’t forget that Abraham Lincoln, John Adams, and John Marshall (the first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court) did not attend law school, either.
Do you think Kim Kardashian will become a lawyer or will she grow distracted by her life as a celebrity?