California Car Wreck Lawyers
- Possible Damages in a Motor Vehicle Wreck Lawsuit
- Should I Hire a Car Wreck Lawyer after a Car Accident?
- Information You Should Have Available for Your Consultation with a Car Wreck Lawyer
- How Much Car Accident Claims Can Be Worth
- Understanding the Role of a Car Wreck Lawyer in Handling a Car Crash Case
- How You Should Choose a Car Wreck Lawyer
In May 2022, the early estimate of traffic fatalities from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) showed that 42,915 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes, representing a 10.5 percent increase from 2020 and the highest number of fatalities in 16 years. NHTSA statistics also found that under the Revised Trauma Score (RTS), patients with a probability of survival of 36.1 percent or less were considered to be severely injured and frequently needed to be transported to Level 1 or Level 2 trauma centers to receive higher levels of critical care, and the numbers strongly suggested an increase in the severity of crashes over the past two years.
No two car crashes are ever the same. People can be involved in a wide variety of accidents stemming from many different causes. Some of the more common causes of motor vehicle accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Inclement weather
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol
- Driver fatigue or drowsy driving
- Improper lane changes or turns
- Failure to yield right of way
- Running stop signs or stoplights
- Inclement weather conditions
- Wrong-way driving
- Road rage
- Tire blowouts
- Potholes or other dangerous road conditions
Our client was driving with his wife and son on a two-lane highway when a drunk driver crossed the double yellow lines, causing a head-on collision that claimed the life of a loving wife and mother.– Arash Khorsandi
Possible Damages in a Motor Vehicle Wreck Lawsuit
California Civil Code § 3281 establishes that any person who suffers harm from the unlawful act or omission of another party can recover compensation from the person at fault, which is called damages. Compensatory damages is the phrase that relates to compensation that intends to “make a person whole again.”
Other common kinds of economic damages include:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Costs of long-term care
- Physical therapy costs
- Rehabilitation expenses
Other non-economic damages can also include:
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical limitations
Should I Hire a California Car Wreck Lawyer after a Car Accident?
Many people who are involved in car accidents in which the negligence of another party is clear believe they can spare themselves attorney fees by negotiating their own settlements. Keep in mind that an Insurance Research Council (IRC) study entitled “Paying for Auto Injuries: A Consumer Panel Survey of Auto Accident Victims” showed that victims who hired attorneys received 40 percent more in settlements with insurance companies than those who represented themselves.
Our client was stopped at a two-way stop sign before proceeding into an intersection where he was struck by a police cruiser traveling 70 mph, resulting in serious injuries.– ARASH KHORSANDI
Information You Should Have Available for Your Consultation with a California Car Wreck Lawyer
- The date of your car wreck
- The location of your crash
- A case number from police officers investigating your collision
- Any information about the identity of the negligent driver
- Any photographs you have of your vehicle or other vehicles involved in the wreck
- A summary of your injuries in the car accident
- A record of your medical treatment for your injuries
- Information relating to your automobile insurance policy
- Any discussions you have had with an insurance adjuster
As the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) notes, state law requires people to report traffic accidents on California streets, highways, or private property to be reported to the DMV within 10 days in cases of injury, death, or property damage exceeding $1,000. A driver must file an SR-1 form regardless of fault.
How Much Car Accident Claims Can Be Worth
A personal injury lawyer cannot guarantee any specific amount that you will recover for your car accident because there are several factors that can adversely impact settlement negotiations. You should know that various aspects of your own case, however, can impact the amount of compensation you can recover.
- The costs of all of your medical bills
- Costs relating to your future medical treatment
- The amount of income you have lost or will lose because of your injuries
- How your injuries affect your future earning capacity
- Whether you will need any home modifications to accommodate your injury
- The cost of repairs to your motor vehicle
- Whether your injury has caused a permanent disability, disfigurement, or the loss of a bodily function
Understanding the Role of a Car Wreck Lawyer in Handling a California Car Crash Case
The insurance company handling your case may be quick to tell you that you will not need a lawyer and that they will make sure you are taken care of, but this is always an empty promise. You will always give yourself the best chance of recovering as much as possible by having legal representation.
How You Should Choose a Car Wreck Lawyer in California
Some of the factors you will want to keep in mind are:
- The types of cases the attorney handles
- The attorney’s fees and billing policy
- What their percentage of success is in car accident cases
- The lawyer’s education and previous experience
- Whether an attorney has experience working for insurance companies
- The lawyer’s reputation among their previous clients
- The attorney’s reputation among lawyers and judges
- Any possible disciplinary history (view a discipline history at the State Bar of California website)
Call Us Today to Speak with a California Car Wreck Attorney
If you suffer injuries or your loved one dies in a car accident in California, do not try to handle your personal injury case on your own. Make sure that you get the legal team of Arash Law, run by the talented team of Arash Khorsandi, Esq., on your side as soon as possible.
Our firm has recovered over $400 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients. Call (888) 488-1391 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our California dangerous road conditions attorney.