Los Angeles Dog Bite Lawyers
- Statistics and Dog Bite Injuries
- Which Dog Breeds Are the Most Dangerous?
- Are Dog Bites More Likely to Occur at Specific Times?
- Dog Bites and Common Injuries
- What Should Dog Bite Victims Do After a Dog Attack?
- Contact Our Team of Award-winning Dog Bite Lawyers in Los Angeles
- The Liability of Dogs Owners Under California Law
- Which Parties Provide Compensation After a Dog Bite?
- Dog Bite Cases and Proving Liability
- Why Should I Hire The Los Angeles Dog Bite Lawyers at Our Firm?
Contact us today if you have suffered injuries during a dog bite accident. The Los Angeles dog bite lawyers at our law firm have decades of experience representing clients throughout California. Our dog bite lawyers have recovered over $400 million for clients throughout California. We serve clients in San Francisco, Riverside, Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sherman Oaks, and throughout California.
Call us today at (888) 488-1391 to learn more about the legal services we offer. If you suffered injuries during a dog bite accident, you need to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Dog bites might cause serious infections and fatalities if the animal has a communicable disease. Speak to a knowledgeable dog bite lawyer in Los Angeles if you or a loved one suffered injuries during a dog bite accident.
dog bite injury
largest animal attack settlement in 2020 for California; client suffered Traumatic Brain Injury.– Judd Ross Allen
Statistics and Dog Bite Injuries
Important facts include:
- Dog bite cases have risen over the last ten years in California. Individual patients visited emergency rooms for dog bites over 35,000 times in 2010. In 2015, the number of emergency room visits related to dog bite injuries rose to 38,000.
- Medical treatment for dog bites can be expensive. In 2017, dog owners were liable for approximately 680,000,000 dollars in dog bite injury costs.
- The average dog bite claim was slightly more than 37,000 dollars.
- Many insurance companies pay more than 1,000,000,000 dollars in claims for dog bite injuries each year.
- Children are more vulnerable than adults when it comes to dog bite injuries. Nearly half of all children younger than 12 years of age suffered at least one dog bite.
- 79 percent of all dog attacks affect children. More than 65 percent of all dog bite attacks affecting children occur on a child’s neck or head.
- United States Postal Service employees are also vulnerable to dog bite attacks. Dog bite attacks affected approximately 6,500 postal workers in 2016. The number of dog bite attacks affecting postal workers rose by 200 from 2015 to 2016. In California, the city of Los Angeles was home to 80 dog bite cases involving postal workers, the most of any city in the state.
- Nearly 4,500,000 dog bite cases happen every year in the United States. Approximately one out of five dog bites cause infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
- In a 13-year period, 54 cases concerned a pet dog causing fatal injuries to an owner.
- A little over 28,000 people had to undergo reconstructive surgical procedures due to their dog bite injuries.
- From 2005 to 2014, Rottweilers and pit bulls caused 75 percent of all deadly dog attacks. During these 10 years, Rottweilers caused 38 deaths, and pit bulls caused 203 deaths.
- Children 13 years of age and under made up approximately half of all dog attack fatalities in 2014. Nearly 73 percent of all adults killed by dog attacks in 2014 were fifty years of age or older.
- Dog bite fatalities rose by 82 percent from 1980 to 2012.
- Females suffer injuries from dog bite attacks at a rate higher than males.
- More than half of all fatal dog attacks in the year 2014 featured more than one dog. Packs of dogs caused eight dog bite fatalities in 2014.
- A fourth of all fatal dog attacks in the year 2014 gave rise to criminal charges.
- Approximately $489 million of homeowner insurance claims paid during the year 2012 were related to dog bite cases.
- In 2010, State Farm Insurance Company paid for more than 3,500 dog bite claims. The average claim totaled approximately 25,000 dollars.
Which Dog Breeds Are the Most Dangerous?
Are Dog Bites More Likely to Occur at Specific Times?
Physical Injuries Caused by Dog Attacks
Dog Attacks and Their Impact on Victims
Dog Bites and Common Injuries
If you suffered injuries during a dog bite attack, you need to understand every aspect of your injuries before accepting a settlement offer. Some surgical operations may require you to undergo months of treatment.
Dog attacks can cause extreme bodily disfigurement. Reconstructive surgery is often the only option for dog bite victims who suffer disfigurement. Rehabilitation, physical therapy, and extensive medical care are often required after dog attacks.
Dog bites cause physical injuries, but victims often suffer from emotional trauma and psychological pain. Bodily disfigurement can affect the remainder of a person’s life. Psychological pain can damage a person’s connection to all other domestic animals. Every consequence of the dog attack must be considered when determining a just settlement amount.
Additional details concerning dog bite injuries include the following:
- A portion of dog bite injury patients suffer bone fractures and blood poisoning.
- 5 percent of dog bite injury patients had head, neck, and torso injuries.
- 22 percent of dog bite injury patients had injuries to the arms and legs.
- 42 percent of victims hospitalized for dog bite attacks received medical treatment for tissue infections and skin lacerations.
- Nearly 86 percent of all dog bite attacks cause serious bodily injuries.
Dog Bites and Common Injuries
Largest motorcycle settlement in Tulare County in 2021; client suffered spinal and wrist injuries.– Judd Ross Allen
What Should Dog Bite Victims Do After a Dog Attack?
Obtain Medical Attention Immediately
Documenting the Dog Attack
Contact Animal Services and Law Enforcement Agencies
Contact law enforcement officers and ask them to come to the accident scene and record a police report about the dog bite incident. A police report will document the dog attack and contain important information about the dog’s owner. Some dog owners may not provide you with their contact information. Police reports will contain the dog owner’s contact details.
It is also important to contact Los Angeles County Animal Control so their representatives can file an incident report. Animal services may also perform administrative actions to protect other people. Some of these actions may include taking custody of a dangerous dog to prevent other attacks.
Contact Our Team of Award-winning Dog Bite Lawyers in Los Angeles
The Liability of Dogs Owners Under California Law
If the injury happened due to a dog bite, and you were in a place you were legally allowed to be, contact a dog bite lawyer at our firm to schedule a free consultation. We can discuss the facts of your case and any relevant theories of liability. If you were injured during a dog attack but suffered injuries due to scratching and jumping, you should find out if you can bring a negligence claim against the owner of the dog.
California law may apply to this type of injury differently. Los Angeles dog bite lawyers understand how complex the law can be regarding strict liability and dog bites. You should know that our dog bite lawyers will stand up for you and your rights by demanding the financial compensation you deserve. A statute of limitations applies to personal injury lawsuits in California.
Negligent Dog Owners
Rabies and Dog Bites
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our dog bite lawyers. We have recovered over $400 million for our clients. Also, we have decades of experience representing clients who suffered injuries during dog bite attacks. We serve clients in San Francisco, Riverside, Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sherman Oaks, and throughout California.
Which Parties Provide Compensation After a Dog Bite?
You may hesitate to bring a dog bite injury lawsuit against a dog owner because you do not want to place the owner in financial peril. The dog owner may be your close neighbor or a dear friend. It is sometimes true that the dog owner may have to pay you compensation, but other sources of financial compensation exist. For example, the following sources may pay you financial compensation for your injuries:
- In some cases, the dog owner will not have any type of insurance, and thus the dog owner will be financially responsible for any damages you suffered during the dog bite attack.
- Animal insurance is a form of insurance coverage that pet owners can purchase. An animal insurance policy may pay for some of your damages and provide you with financial compensation.
- Automobile insurance policies may provide coverage for dog bites that occur on the owner’s property. Some automobile insurance policies have specific provisions that eliminate coverage after a dog’s first attack.
- Homeowner’s insurance policies typically cover dog bite injuries that occur on a property owner’s land. Some homeowner’s insurance policies may contain provisions that eliminate coverage after a dog’s first attack.
Dog Bite Cases and Proving Liability
Strict liability operates in California. Dog attacks that happen when the injured person is in a public place or lawfully in a private place will make the dog owner strictly liable. Some of the confusing aspects of this law are discussed below.
Dog Attacks and the Role of Employment
Instances in Which Workers’ Compensation May Be Necessary in a Dog Attack Case in California
Workers’ compensation may apply to dog bite cases involving the following people:
- Delivery workers
- Mail carriers
- Any employees who are required to enter private property to perform job functions – Workers’ compensation claims may be necessary when a dog bites one of these employees
Compensation for Dog Bite Injuries in Los Angeles
- Lost wages – A dog bite attack may have caused you to stay home from work or earn less than you normally earn. Lost wages and lost future earnings are damages you can recover in dog bite cases.
- Pain and suffering – Dog bites produce enormous pain and suffering during the attack and in the recovery phase.
- Bodily disfigurement and permanent scarring – Bodily scarring and disfigurement following a dog bite can alter a victim’s life forever. Victims can receive financial compensation for these injuries.
- Medical bills – Most dog bite victims go to an emergency room after a dog attack. Injured victims can recover financial compensation for emergency room visits, stitches, and any surgical procedures. Medical bills associated with dog bite treatments can be exorbitant.
Why Should I Hire The Los Angeles Dog Bite Lawyers at Our Firm?
Mental or Emotional Nursing Home Abuse
It is important that you retain an experienced dog bite lawyer at our injury law firm. Dog bite claims can often become more complex over time. You will have to carefully read and interpret the dog owner’s home insurance policy. Any victim should take the following actions after suffering a dog bite injury:
- Call insurance companies and establish insurance claims
- Perform a background investigation of the dog owner
- File a report of the dog attack with animal control services
- Collect witness statements and speak to any witnesses
- Obtain photographs of the accident scene and the dog bite injuries
- Contact 911 or go to an emergency room immediately after suffering a dog bite attack
Contact Our Firm to Schedule a Free Consultation
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We have decades of experience representing clients who suffered dog bite injuries. Our personal injury lawyers have recovered over $400 million for clients throughout California. We serve clients in San Francisco, Riverside, Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sherman Oaks, and throughout California. Contact Arash Law and the team managed by Arash Khorsandi, Esq. today at (888) 488-1391 to learn more about the legal services we offer.