California Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyers
- Truck Accident Statistics
- You Need a Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Laws
- What to Do After a Commercial Vehicle Accident?
- Causes of Commercial Vehicle Crashes
- Liable Parties in Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Common Injuries in Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Damages Available in Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- How Our Skilled Lawyers Can Help
Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyers
Commercial vehicles are a common sight on American roads. Large commercial trucks, including tractor-trailers, semi-trucks, and 18-wheelers, are the lifeblood of the U.S. economy because they move more than 70% of all goods transported around the country.
According to the United States Census Bureau, there are more truck drivers in America today than ever before. While our economy relies on these workers and the trucks they drive, there is a cost associated with using these large vehicles.
If you or your loved one has been involved in a truck accident in California, contact our commercial vehicle accident lawyer at our injury firm to help you obtain total compensation for your injuries and losses. We have recovered over $500 million for our clients (and counting).
Verdict for a client who was sideswiped by a commercial truck.– JUDD ROSS ALLEN
Truck Accident Statistics in California
With commercial vehicles weighing up to 80,000 pounds, the devastating consequences of truck crashes should come as no surprise. Unfortunately for occupants of passenger cars, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists, collisions with commercial vehicles are prevalent in California and often result in catastrophic and fatal injuries. The sheer size of commercial trucks and the volume of these trucks on our roads contribute to a large number of accidents, injuries, and fatalities.
Although truck drivers are held to a higher standard of care than other motorists, commercial vehicle accidents are not uncommon in California. Each year, large commercial vehicles contribute to over 4,000 deaths in the U.S. California has the second-highest number of fatal traffic accidents in the country (over 350 deaths in 2018).
You Need a California Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer
If you or your family member has been injured in a motor vehicle accident involving a commercial vehicle, you need a California commercial vehicle accident lawyer to help you determine fault and seek compensation on your behalf. Since truck accidents often involve multiple at-fault parties, it is critical to seek help from a lawyer to handle your case. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you:
- Perform an in-depth investigation
- Collect evidence on your behalf
- Determine all liable parties
- Calculate your damages and losses to fight for the maximum compensation
- Guide you throughout the legal process
More importantly, an experienced attorney knows all the key regulations applicable to the trucking industry. Our trusted commercial vehicle accident attorneys are committed to aggressively fighting for your rights and advocating for you in your truck accident case.
Truck Accident Laws in California
As mentioned earlier, trucks and commercial vehicles are the lifeblood of California’s economy. Without all the trucks that transport goods, food, gasoline, raw materials, and other products, the Golden State would come to a standstill. Commercial vehicle carriers and operators of tractor-trailers, semi-trucks, big rigs, 18-wheelers, and other trucks in California must abide by strict federal and state laws.
Under federal law, carriers and drivers of commercial vehicles must comply with the Hours of Service (HOS) regulations:
- Drivers cannot drive longer than 11 hours after the ten consecutive hours off duty.
- Drivers must have a break of at least 30 minutes every 8 hours.
- Drivers cannot drive more than 60 hours in a 7-day period or 70 hours in 8 days.
For years, many trucking companies were able to avoid liability for accidents caused by their drivers if the drivers were classified as independent contractors rather than employees. However, while most truck drivers are still classified as independent contractors, carriers can be held vicariously liable for crashes involving their vehicles regardless of the driver’s employment status.
Recovering damages following a truck accident requires knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations. That is why it is always best to speak with a California commercial vehicle lawyer to determine liability in your case.
What to Do After a Commercial Vehicle Accident in California?
Once hired, our California commercial vehicle accident lawyers at Arash Law led by Arash Khorsandi, Esq. will preserve all pieces of evidence at the scene of the crash to help you build a strong case. Preserving evidence is critical because it could be destroyed or tampered with by the truck driver or their trucking company.
Causes of Commercial Vehicle Crashes
Not all commercial vehicle accidents involve driver error, but most of them do. In fact, some crashes involve more than one contributing factor. Let’s review the most common causes of commercial vehicle crashes:
- Brake failure and other problems with the brakes system
- Driving too fast for road or weather conditions
- Driving on unfamiliar roads
- Poor road conditions
- Driving under the influence of prescription and over-the-counter drugs
- Inadequate surveillance
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Driving under pressure to meet specific deadlines
- Inattention and distracted driving
- Performing illegal maneuvers such as unsafe lane changes
- Experiencing tire problems
- Driving too close (failing to maintain a safe following distance)
- Having cargo that is not properly secured
- Driving an overloaded truck
- Driving under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol
Most commercial vehicle accidents are caused by some error on the part of the driver. However, many accidents with commercial vehicles involve multiple liable parties. Consult with a knowledgeable and detail-oriented lawyer to identify all responsible parties in your truck accident case.
Liable Parties in Commercial Vehicle Accidents
In most commercial vehicle accidents, it is vital to conduct a thorough and in-depth investigation to identify all liable parties. In fact, it is not uncommon for truck crashes to involve multiple responsible parties. Potentially liable parties include:
Settlement in a case where a client was injured while unloading commercial truck; client sustained crush injuries to legs.– JUDD ROSS ALLEN
Common Injuries in Commercial Vehicle Accidents
No matter what type of injury you have suffered, a skilled attorney can help you seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, and other damages.
Damages Available in Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Given the sheer size of commercial vehicles, most victims of truck crashes face a long road to recovery. If you have been injured in a commercial vehicle accident, our lawyers at Arash Law managed by Arash Khorsandi can help you obtain compensation to reimburse you for the physical, financial, and emotional suffering.
Damages that may be available in a commercial vehicle accident in California include:
A California commercial vehicle accident lawyer will help you carefully and thoroughly assess all of your damages and losses to ensure that you receive maximum compensation. Remember: Insurance companies are not on your side when it comes to settling your claim. Let our skilled lawyers handle your commercial vehicle accident and ensure that you recover all available damages.
How Our Skilled Lawyers Can Help
If you have been involved in a commercial vehicle accident in California, our highly-rated lawyers at Arash Law headed by Arash Khorsandi will give your case the personalized attention it deserves to ensure that you get the compensation to which you are entitled.
Our attorneys can help you handle your case efficiently by doing the following:
- Gaining access to and examining logbooks to determine how and why the accident occurred. In commercial vehicle crashes, logbooks can show that the driver or the carrier violated any regulations or laws.
- Reviewing evidence. A logbook is not the only critical piece of evidence in a commercial vehicle accident case. Other important pieces of evidence include witness statements, photos, videos, surveillance or dashcam footage, GPS and black box data, among others
- Inspecting the accident scene. Our knowledgeable lawyers will also inspect the scene of your accident to look for such evidence as tire marks, poor road conditions, vehicle damage, and other relevant details.
- Talking to insurance companies. Negotiating with insurance companies is a critical part of the claims process. Your lawyer will protect your best interests when negotiating a just settlement amount on your behalf.
Call a Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Commercial vehicles are among the most dangerous vehicles on California’s roads. Accidents involving these vehicles often involve catastrophic results. If you or someone you love has been involved in a collision with a big rig, tractor-trailer, semi-truck, or any other commercial vehicle, do not hesitate to call our dedicated lawyers. We serve clients in San Francisco, Riverside, Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sherman Oaks, and throughout California.
We have collected over $500 million dollars for clients across the state. Our team of dedicated and diligent lawyers has the necessary resources, skills, and experience to work tirelessly on your commercial vehicle accident case and fight for fair and full compensation on your behalf. Book a free consultation by calling (888) 488-1391 or by completing our online intake form today.