Fresno Uber Accident Lawyers
- Does Uber Pay Fresno Uber Accident Damages?
- Fresno Car Accident Statistics
- What People Should Know About Fresno Uber Accidents
- Distracted Driving as a Common Cause of Uber Accidents
- When Drunk Driving Is Involved in Uber Accidents
- Uber Accidents Caused by Speeding
- Why an Attorney Is Important in an Uber Accident in Fresno
- Common Challenges of Uber Accidents
- Proving Fault for an Uber Accident
- How Do Uber Accidents Happen?
- How People Should Deal with Insurance Companies
- What People Should Do After Uber Accidents
- Insurance Coverage for Uber Accidents
- How Uber Accident Settlements Work
- Common Kinds of Injuries in Fresno Uber Accidents
- Types of Damages for Fresno Uber Accidents
- How Arash Law Helps Fresno Uber Accident Victims Secure Compensation
- Will My Uber Accident Case End Up at Trial?
Fresno Uber Accident Lawyers That Win All The Time
According to a California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) report, over 30,000 people have been killed, and 100,000 have suffered severe injuries on California roads since 2010. Motor vehicle crashes are incredibly common in California, and it is common for certain accidents to involve Uber or other rideshare vehicles.
Uber accidents immediately add a new level of complexity to a personal injury claim because rideshare companies can be held liable in certain cases, However, establishing such liability can be very tricky, and companies like Uber will invest heavily in defending themselves to avoid being held accountable. A person will want to be sure they are working with the experienced Fresno Uber accident lawyers at Arash Law, founded by famous attorney Arash Khorsandi, Esq., in these cases because our firm handles all rideshare accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means people do not pay us anything unless we win or settle their cases first.
A farm worker, suffered multiple broken bones and other orthopedic injuries resulting from an auto accident where the defendant driver attempted to make a left turn in front of our client in heavy fog.– ARASH KHORSANDI
Does Uber Pay Fresno Uber Accident Damages?
Uber is generally required to provide all of its drivers with some form of liability insurance, and such policies can provide significant benefits to people injured in Uber accidents. Since Uber classifies its drivers as independent contractors, most people cannot to sue Uber itself in court, although they can still file claims with Uber’s insurance company.
Fresno Car Accident Statistics
According to OTS, traffic fatalities in California increased by 3.4 percent from 3,719 in 2019 to 3,847 in 2020. The number of drunk driving fatalities (i.e. Fatalities in crashes involving a driver or motorcyclist with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or higher) increased by 20.0 percent from 966 in 2019 to 1,159 in 2020, and the alcohol-impaired driving fatality rate increased by 4 percent from 2019 to 2020, which accounted for 30 percent of California’s 3,847 fatalities.
What People Should Know About Fresno Uber Accidents
People need to understand that Uber is not always responsible for accidents involving one of its drivers. Uber liability can be a very complex issue that most people are not prepared to deal with on their own.
It is incredibly important that individuals who suffer injuries in an Uber accident seek legal counsel quickly to clarify all of their legal options after an Uber accident . An experienced attorney can best figure out how to hold Uber itself can be held liable for an accident and ensure a person can recover all of the financial compensation they are entitled to.
Distracted Driving as a Common Cause of Uber Accidents
It should go without saying that Uber drivers frequently rely on their cell phones to get information about potential passengers and work duties, so distracted driving is among the most common causes of Uber accidents. People who believe that distracted driving was a factor in their Uber accidents will want to work with an experienced attorney who can possibly subpoena a negligent driver’s phone records to prove the driver was using their cell phone at the time of a collision.
When Drunk Driving Is Involved in Uber Accidents
While most people in California are aware that the state rigorously enforces drunk driving laws, there is no denying that arrests for driving under the influence (DUI) arrests remain incredibly common in the Golden State each year. FCHIP reports that 26.0 percent of driving deaths had alcohol involvement in Fresno for 2016-2020, which was lower than the high of 30.0 percent in 2009-2013.
The Fresno Bee also reported that Fresno had an average of 648 DUI arrests annually per 100,000 residents, which translated to an average of 1,148 total DUI arrests per year and made the city the worst in the state for DUI arrests. It is never out of the question that an Uber driver may have been operating while under the influence of alcohol or a legal or illegal drug.
Uber Accidents Caused by Speeding
Why an Attorney Is Important in an Uber Accident in Fresno
Several statutes can impact how people can obtain financial compensation after rideshare accidents. Working with a lawyer who understands the process and legal precedents involved in a case against Uber will make an important difference in the outcome of a person’s case.
Under the guidance of Arash Khorsandi, Esq., Arash Law is prepared to guide people through the entire process. Our Fresno Uber accident lawyers have handled multiple ride-sharing accident claims on behalf of injured victims and will know how to seek the maximum compensation they deserve.
Our firm has recovered more than $500 million for our clients. We recovered $1 million for a client who suffered a spinal cord injury in an Uber accident.
More About Arash Law
Common Challenges of Uber Accidents
Liability is often one of the biggest obstacles in Uber accident actions because several parties can share liability, and it is often difficult for people to prove liability by themselves. An Uber accident lawyer with powerful resources can collect all of the relevant data, like driver logs, app data, witness accounts, and accident reconstruction reports, to help determine each party’s responsibility.
There can also be several time restrictions on certain actions, which emphasizes the importance of getting an Uber accident lawyer in Fresno involved in your case as soon as possible. People may have to file certain claims with an insurer within a certain time frame, specified period of time or risk losing the ability to recover anything at all.
In the end, the biggest obstacle to recovery for most people is going to be dealing with an insurance company, whether they are representing the driver or Uber itself. Insurers all share the same goal of trying to settle cases for the least amount possible so they can preserve their bottom lines, so it is important to have an injury lawyer who knows how to negotiate a fair and full settlement in these cases against Uber.
How Uber Time Periods Work
Uber says that its own insurance will work as follows for its drivers:
- Driver is offline or driver app is off – The driver’s personal insurance company and coverages apply.
- Driver is available or waiting for a ride request – Uber maintains automobile insurance on a driver’s behalf for covered accidents. Third-party liability will apply when a driver’s personal automobile insurance does not apply and provides $50,000 in bodily injury per person, $100,000 in bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 in property damage per accident.
- Driver is en route to pick up riders and during trips – Uber offers automobile insurance on a driver’s behalf in case of a covered accident, including $1 million in third-party liability, uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury or first-party injury insurance, and contingent comprehensive and collision with an actual cash value of the car and a $2,500 deductible.
Proving Fault for an Uber Accident
Uber drivers are rarely quick to admit when they were at fault for a crash, and many drivers will try to pass the blame on to other parties, such as other drivers. These defenses are valid in some cases and completely contrary to the facts in others. However, victims should definitely seek legal representation for assistance proving that an Uber driver was completely at fault for any car accident.
How Do Uber Accidents Happen?
In most cases, an Uber driver is the responsible party because of certain actions like DUI offenses, speeding, or, perhaps most commonly, distracted driving. There is little doubt that the basic nature of an Uber driver’s work often means they are distracted by their cell phones so distracted driving is an especially common claim in many of these cases.
How People Should Deal with Insurance Companies
When people submit written demand letters for compensation, insurance companies will frequently respond with much lower counteroffers that are far less than what people are entitled to. Every single person will want to have a team experienced Fresno Uber accident lawyers dealing with an insurance company on their behalf because the lawyer can negotiate a much fairer and fuller settlement to the case.
What People Should Do After Uber Accidents
The immediate aftermath of any Uber accident will be a very important time for people involved to take certain actions. You will want to be sure that you do all of the following after any Uber accident you happen to be involved in:
- Stop at the scene of the accident.
- Call 911 so the local police department will be dispatched and emergency responders can treat anyone who is injured.
- Collect the names of all people involved, including Uber drivers and passengers, getting contact and insurance information.
- Also, seek contact information from any witnesses.
- Take photo or videos of the car or cars involved, the accident scene, and injuries. Try to note all other relevant information, including the location of the crash, weather conditions, hazards, and any other important information about an accident.
- Contact an experienced Uber accident attorney at Arash Law, managed by Arash Khorsandi, Esq., as soon as possible.
Insurance Coverage for Uber Accidents
Uber provides up to $1 million in insurance coverage under certain circumstances, but whether Uber pays anything will depend on their driver’s activity at the time of an accident. When an Uber driver is using their vehicle for personal use and is not available to pick up passengers, a driver involved in an accident will be covered only by their automobile insurance.
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) notes that the acceptable forms of insurance include a motor vehicle liability insurance policy, a cash deposit of $35,000 with the DMV, a certificate of self-insurance issued by the DMV, and a surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California. The minimum liability insurance requirements under California Insurance Code §11580.1b are $15,000 for injury or death to one person, $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person and $5,000 for damage to property.
Settlement in a motor vehicle accident; client suffered internal injuries.– JUDD ROSS ALLEN
How Uber Accident Settlements Work
Many car accidents cases involving Uber vehicles are likely to result in settlement because neither side involved usually wants to bear the extraordinary costs involved in taking a case to trial. Uber or an insurance company often tries to settle these cases very quickly by offering people lump-sum amounts to close their cases, and while accepting such an offer can seem like a quick way to resolve a case, people need to understand that most of these initial offers are much less than what people are actually entitled to.
When a person is works with Arash Law, under the direction of Arash Khorsandi, Esq., our firm knows how to negotiate a far more fair settlement offer that truly covers every expense a person will be dealing with because of their accident. When an insurer proves unwilling to provide an acceptable settlement offer, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to take the case to court.
It is again important to keep in mind that Uber’s insurance policy for its drivers will have three tiers:
- Driver offline – Uber’s insurance policy does not apply when a driver is not using the Uber app or is marked as being offline. Accident claims must be filed against a driver’s privately held policy or any other motorists involved in a crash.
- Driver available – If an Uber driver is waiting for a new ride request or is marked as available, Uber will provide a 50/100/25 third-party liability insurance that covers a driver in the case of an accident. Such policy coverage will only apply when a driver’s own auto insurance policy does not apply or is exhausted.
- Driver with passenger –If an Uber driver is en route to pick up a passenger or already has a passenger in their vehicle, Uber will provide a $1 million third-party liability uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury policy.
Dealing with Claims Against Massive Corporations
The bottom line is that Uber Technologies, Inc. is a major corporation that is very concerned about its profits, so it is going to do everything it can to ensure that the compensation it pays is the least amount possible. The same also holds true for the insurance companies Uber employs.
People should be aware that working with a Fresno Uber accident attorney in these cases is often the best way to ensure that they can recover as much compensation as possible for their crashes. A confident Fresno Uber accident lawyer is going to handle a case on a no-win, no-fee guarantee, so they only get paid when they win or settle these cases.
Common Kinds of Injuries in Fresno Uber Accidents
There is little doubt that an Uber accident has the potential to cause all kinds of possibly severe and possibly even fatal injuries to people. Under the leadership of Arash Khorsandi, Esq., Arash Law has decades of experience handling all kinds of injury claims, including people who have suffered such injuries as:
- Fractures or broken bones
- Crush injuries
- Closed head injuries
- Back injuries
- Knee injuries
- Leg injuries
- Neck injuries
- Arm injuries
- Internal injuries
Who Will Be Covered in Uber Accidents?
Liability for Fresno Uber Accidents
The Law Office of Arash Khorsandi, Esq., will diligently investigate the cause of an Uber accident and knows how to identify determine all possible liable parties. There can be several different possible explanations for Uber accidents, which may include:
- An Uber driver is at fault for making a mistake behind the wheel that causes an accident.
- The driver of another vehicle colliding with an Uber vehicle is at fault for causing the crash.
- Passengers in a vehicle contributed to the cause of a crash by distracting drivers.
- Manufacturers of parts in any vehicle could be liable if defective parts played a role in causing an accident.
- Government entities might be responsible for failure to build and maintain safe roads when they do not fix or warn the public about unreasonably dangerous road conditions.
Types of Damages for Fresno Uber Accidents
Economic damages are common types kinds of out-of-pocket expenses that can be proven and calculated. Common examples often include:
- Medical expenses, such as past, present, and future medical bills, as well as costs relating to hospital stays, prescription medications, surgeries, and rehabilitative therapy
- Lost income
- Lost earning capacity
- Personal property damages
- At-home nursing care costs
- Replacement service costs
- Any other out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Diminished enjoyment of life and activities
- Disfigurement and scarring
There can also be cases in which victims of Uber accidents can seek punitive damages, which are intended to punish defendants for egregious actions that caused accidents and deter others from taking similar actions in the future.
Under California Civil Code § 3294, punitive damages require clear and convincing evidence that a defendant was guilty of oppression, fraud, or malice, with malice being defined as conduct intended by a defendant to cause injury to a plaintiff or despicable conduct which is carried on by a defendant with a willful and conscious disregard of the rights or safety of others, oppression meaning disgraceful conduct that subjects a person to cruel and unjust hardship in conscious disregard of their rights, and fraud being defined as intentional misrepresentation, deceit, or concealment of a material fact known to a defendant with the intention on the part of the defendant of thereby depriving a person of property or legal rights or otherwise causing injury.
How Insurance Coverage Works for Accidents Caused by Uber Drivers
- $50,000 for bodily injury per individual
- $100,000 for bodily injury per crash
- $25,000 for property damages per accident
During any period when an Uber driver is en route to pick up a passenger, driving a passenger to a destination, or otherwise engaged in the rider’s transaction, Uber will maintain supplemental accident liability insurance coverage for its drivers that consists of:
- $1 million third-party liability
- Underinsured or uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage
- Contingent collision and comprehensive coverage up to a car’s actual value with a $1,000 deductible
- $15,000 for injury or death to one person
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
In any Fresno Uber accident case, the status of an Uber driver at the time of an accident will be tremendously important to a person’s recovery options. The experienced Uber accident injury lawyers at Arash Law, headed by Arash Khorsandi, Esq., can take steps to locate, secure, and evaluate evidence relevant to determining the driver status and ensure clients can benefit from the maximum insurance coverage available for their injuries and losses.
How Arash Law Helps Fresno Uber Accident Victims Secure Compensation
- Investigating an Uber accident to determine the cause
- Taking immediate action to secure critical evidence of an Uber driver’s status on the Uber app at the moment of an accident
- Calculating the complete range of damages, your need to compensate others for their injuries, and to pay for current and future medical care.
- Identifying every party who might owe damages to clients under California state law
- Preparing and filing insurance claims and lawsuits demanding compensation for clients
- Representing clients in Fresno court proceedings
- Negotiating settlements with the parties at fault and their insurance carriers
- Collecting compensation due to clients through settlements, judgments, or jury awards
Possible Damages for Rideshare Accidents in Fresno
The first thing most people are going to ask lawyers when discussing their Uber accident cases is how much their cases are worth. This question can be tricky to answer because so many variables can impact what amount can actually be recovered.la
The truth is that there will need to be a rigorous investigation performed before experienced Fresno Uber accident lawyers can truly speak with any confidence about a possible award. In some cases, the things people say immediately following a collision can also impact what they can recover.
The bottom line is that certain kinds of damages are more common than others, but people should also be aware that their own cases can involve unique claims that entitle them to other kinds of less frequent damages. In general, some of the most common kinds of damages in these cases can include:
- Medical bills – Any health care costs a person incurs because of an accident are usually recoverable, which can include ambulance transportation costs, emergency care costs, rehabilitation costs, prescription medications, and any surgeries.
- Future medical costs – Serious accidents often result in long-term or permanent disabilities, and people who are expected to incur further medical costs at the conclusion of their cases can have expenses included in their settlements.
- Lost income — Any income a person is unable to earn while recovering from injuries may be included in damages.
- Loss of future earnings — If a person’s injuries affect their future income-earning ability, such as an inability to return to their regular work and having to accept a lower-paying position, the Fresno Uber accident lawyers at Arash Law can ensure these losses are also included in a settlement.
- Pain and suffering — Pain and suffering is one of the most common kinds of non-economic damages in many injury claims. Virtually all people are dealing with some level of pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress — Many accidents will involve shock or impact, causing mental impacts. People who suffer catastrophic injuries or see a loved one die can obtain emotional distress damages.
- Loss of enjoyment of life — Many injuries can drastically diminish a person’s quality of life. When a victim is unable to participate in certain activities, it can result in depression or loneliness.
- Loss of consortium — When a person’s husband or wife suffers an injury, they can collect compensation for loss of consortium, which refers to a loss of companionship, intimacy, affection, care, comfort, protection, and assistance.
Will My Uber Accident Case End Up at Trial?
Speak With The Only Uber Accident Lawyers Fresno Trusts To Get The Results They Need
If you suffered catastrophic injuries or your loved one was killed in an Uber crash in the greater Fresno area, you will want to be sure you work with an attorney who understands the applicable rideshare laws and insurance policies that might be available in your case. Arash Law, created by Arash Khorsandi, Esq., has handled scores of Uber and other rideshare accident cases, so we are fully prepared to do all of the work necessary to ensure you are taken care of.
Arash Law handles every single case on a contingency fee basis, meaning you will not pay us anything upfront, and you do not owe anything unless our firm wins or settles your case. We can discuss your case in greater detail with you when you call (888) 488-1391 or contact us online to take advantage of a free consultation.