Newark Truck Accident Attorneys
- Common Causes of Big Rig Crashes
- Other Frequent Causes of Truck Accidents
- Your Rights to Compensation
- What People Should Do If They Are Involved in a Truck Accident
- What Do Truck Accident Lawyers Actually Do?
- Why You Need Newark Truck Accident Lawyers to Handle Your Case
- Why It Is Important to Work with Newark Truck Accident Attorneys
- Your Benefits in Hiring a Lawyer for an 18-Wheeler Accident Case
Newark Truck Accident Attorneys who are Personally Committed To Securing Your Justice
Due to the presence of large trucks on the roads near Dumbarton Bridge, there are increased risks of accidents. A collision with these giant vehicles isn’t just another crash—it’s life-altering. Our Newark truck accident attorneys deeply understand the gravity of such events. If you’ve been involved in a big-rig crash, contact Arash Law at (888) 488-1391; let’s champion your rights together.
Commercial trucks are large vehicles that, due to their size, can cause significant damage in accidents.
Cities throughout California regularly see massive amounts of commercial vehicle traffic because there are entities along the West Coast needing to transport goods all over the country. People cannot control the actions of commercial truck drivers, and the negligence of these drivers often has the potential to cause a wide variety of wrecks that can lead to people suffering long-lasting damage.
It is important for people to understand that commercial truck wrecks are not the same as traditional car accident claims. There are insurance companies that aggressively fight to limit whatever they will have to pay in these cases. Accident victims need the help of our Newark truck accident attorneys at Arash Law because legal representation can provide favorable outcomes.
Paz v. Airfax Logistics (settled on 5/26/2020) – settlement in a case involving a client who was involved in a trucking accident and sustained a traumatic brain injury and other trauma.– TINA ESHGHIEH
Common Causes of Big Rig Crashes
- Equipment failure
Trucking companies are expected to regularly maintain their vehicles to ensure that commercial trucks will operate safely and properly in all circumstances. That said, there are many companies that do not invest the necessary time and effort into these issues, and the result can be that a truck fails to perform as it should, not because of any driver error. It is also possible that a part of the truck itself can fail, and a person might have a product liability claim against a part manufacturer in such cases.
- Improperly secured cargo
The cargo being carried by a tractor-trailer often weighs thousands of pounds. When this kind of weight is not properly secured and is capable of shifting while moving, a truck’s center of gravity can change abruptly and cause it to overturn or lose control and crash. Truck accidents like rollovers and jackknife accidents are frequently caused by a loading party’s failure to properly load the truck or secure cargo, and improperly secured cargo can spill and cause property damage or trigger other accidents.
California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) statistics show that speeding is an increasing cause of motor vehicle accidents all over the state, with the number of people killed nationwide increasing by 4.0 percent in a single year and California seeing a 2.3 percent increase. Alameda County was among the top 10 counties for the highest number of speeding-related fatalities and injuries.
- Driver fatigue
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) states that fatigue is a leading factor in large truck crashes as many drivers are under significant pressure to get deliveries to their destinations as soon as possible, leading many drivers to try and work beyond their physical limits. Federal Hours of Service regulations are intended to try and prevent drivers from operating beyond the legal limits for both property-carrying and passenger-carrying drivers, but it is not uncommon for trucking companies to use fraudulent log books that hide the number of hours a driver has actually been on the road.
Other Frequent Causes of Truck Accidents
When you hire our Newark truck accident lawyers, we will conduct a rigorous independent investigation to determine the actual cause of a truck accident. Our attorneys may work with accident reconstruction specialists or other parties to get answers to some of the technical questions.
In addition to the possible causes listed above, other common causes of truck wrecks may include:
- Distracted driving – Truck drivers are no different from any other drivers on the road in that they, too, can easily become distracted by any number of things within or even outside of their vehicles. A truck driver can be just as likely as any other motorist to become distracted by a cell phone or other mobile device.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol – While most truck drivers are well aware that state law forbids people from operating motor vehicles while they are under the influence of alcohol or any drug, there are still drivers who take the chance that they will not be caught. A truck driver who causes a wreck due to intoxication can face criminal charges, but people need to understand that criminal cases are completely separate from any civil action to recover damages.
- Careless or reckless driving – Under California Vehicle Code § 23103, a driver commits a reckless driving offense when they drive without regard for the safety of persons or property. Careless or reckless driving can involve a number of dangerous behaviors, such as a truck driver speeding, running a red light, running through a stop sign, merging without looking, failing to use a turn signal, tailgating, cutting another driver off, or failing to yield.
- Inadequate driver training – Trucking companies should only employ drivers who have the necessary experience and knowledge to operate commercial trucks safely. However, there remains a disturbing number of companies that are willing to hire drivers who do not have the necessary experience, and these companies can be held liable for not properly training their drivers before dispatching them on the road.
- Inclement weather – While conditions are generally favorable in California, the state still sees its fair share of rain or even snow, which can dramatically impact how commercial trucks operate within the state. A truck driver should lessen their speed in these circumstances, but drivers who disregard these concerns can be more likely to cause traffic accidents.
- Road hazards – There can occasionally be unexpected issues with roadways that contribute to or directly cause some wrecks. Major potholes or failure to erect proper signs about dangers on roadways are two common examples, and commercial trucks may take adverse actions in these circumstances that lead to collisions.
Your Rights to Compensation
Common kinds of injuries in truck accidents often include, but are not limited to:
- Fractures or broken bones
- Crush injuries
- Closed head injuries
- Back injuries
- Knee injuries
- Leg injuries
- Neck injuries
- Arm injuries
Most people involved in commercial truck accidents have a right to pursue compensatory damages. These types of damages are usually broken into economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages refer to the actual costs people must pay and often include:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Motor vehicle damage
Non-economic damages will be far more subjective and generally do not have inherent financial values, but they may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
The third but much less common kind of damages is punitive damages, which California authorizes only when a person proves by clear and convincing evidence that a negligent party was guilty of oppression, fraud, or malice. Punitive damages are generally limited to the most malicious and extreme cases of negligence.
What People Should Do If They Are Involved in a Truck Accident
As soon as a person is involved in a truck accident, they will want to call 911 immediately to have law enforcement and emergency medical personnel dispatched to the crash scene. It is very important for a person to ensure that a police report is completed for an accident.
It is also important for a person to seek medical attention, even when they do not think they have suffered an injury. Remember that many injuries involve delayed symptoms, and waiting too long to visit a doctor can have disastrous effects on a person’s injury claim.
You can notify your own insurance company about an accident, but you should not speak to any other insurer involved without legal counsel. Let an attorney from Arash Law deal with an insurance company on your behalf so we can protect your rights and work to recover a fair and full settlement in your case.
What Do Truck Accident Lawyers Actually Do?
Truck accident lawyers specialize in tort law, meaning that they handle cases of private or civil wrongs or injuries that can be remedied through financial compensation for damages. The entire point of tort law is to make a person whole again, so truck accident attorneys work with injury victims to help them recover all of the compensation they are entitled to for their damages.
A lawyer is going to thoroughly investigate a truck accident case to determine all possible liable parties, and people need to understand that it is always possible that multiple parties can be liable in these cases beyond just a negligent truck driver. An attorney can negotiate a far more satisfactory settlement for your case than you are likely to achieve on your own, but they can also file a lawsuit to take the case to court when an insurer is unwilling to pay a satisfactory amount.
Why You Need Newark Truck Accident Attorneys to Handle Your Case
There are undoubtedly people who are involved in truck accidents who decide that they will be better served handling their truck accident cases on their own without legal help so they can save themselves money. Such a choice is often a mistake. Insurance companies for truck drivers and trucking companies relish the chance to deal with people representing themselves because they know they can settle the cases for far less than they otherwise would, and people who accept the settlements initially offered by such insurers only later realize that they actually need more money than they agreed to.
A settlement will usually require a person to sign a release that prevents the person from seeking any additional damages, so the amount they agree to accept is all they can get, no matter what new bills might arise. You will want to have Newark truck accident lawyers on your side from the beginning because they will know how to accurately assess all of the bills you are now facing and will be facing so you can recover everything you need and deserve.
Why It Is Important to Work with Newark Truck Accident Attorneys
Insurance companies representing truck drivers or trucking companies are likely to contact victims soon after crashes and extend settlement offers to resolve cases. You need to be aware that whatever you are being offered is likely to be a very lowball amount that is nowhere near what you are actually entitled to, and hiring a lawyer will be your best bet in ensuring that you recover everything you are entitled to.
Liability for these types of crashes can be increasingly complex, and a person will also want to have an attorney’s help in determining who exactly might be held responsible for a truck accident. In addition to the truck drivers themselves, many of whom do not have the wealth necessary to pay large judgments, it is also possible that trucking companies, parts manufacturers, maintenance companies, or other parties can also be liable.
The bottom line will remain that all people stand to benefit from working with an experienced truck accident lawyer because retaining legal counsel will make sure that a person has the legal assistance they need in recovering all of the damages they are actually entitled to. You should never be fooled by an insurance company claiming that they will take care of you because all insurers are far more accountable to their shareholders and trying to pay as little as possible to resolve every single injury claim.
Gil v. Anderson Plumbing: verdict by a Los Angeles County Superior Court jury in Van Nuys awarded to a man who was injured when his vehicle was struck from behind by a large commercial plumbing van. Benny was part of the trial team that obtained this verdict.– BENNY KHORSANDI
Your Benefits in Hiring a Lawyer for an 18-Wheeler Accident Case
As soon as a person agrees to work with our law firm on a truck accident case, our attorneys will immediately get to work helping that person recover complete financial compensation that covers all of their losses. You will know that you have somebody on your side who is representing your interests and seeking as much as possible.
Some of the different ways truck accident attorneys will be of assistance include:
- Case evaluation – When you schedule a free consultation with our law firm, we will immediately provide a complete case evaluation so you can know your case’s merits and how much compensation you can be entitled to. We will then thoroughly investigate the entire crash to determine all liable parties and work to hold every single one accountable.
- Gathering evidence – Most people involved in truck crashes are not thinking about collecting evidence themselves, but having an experienced Newark truck accident lawyer on your side will mean that you have somebody who knows how to secure the most important kinds of evidence available in your case. An attorney is going to locate not only all accident reports that were filed in connection to a crash, but they can also find video surveillance footage in some cases, have pictures taken at crash sites, and obtain any other documents important to your case
- Legal representation – People should not seek to deal with insurance companies on their own. An attorney can immediately step in on a person’s behalf to deal with insurers for them. A lawyer is going to know how to negotiate for a far more fair and full settlement in a truck accident case.
Any person who suffers injuries in a truck accident in the greater Newark area of California will want to be sure they invest in having legal representation. There is no doubt that people who retain legal counsel always recover more money than those who do not.
The truck accident lawyers at Arash Law, led by Arash Khorsandi, Esq., have handled scores of truck crash cases all over California, so we know how to do what it takes to help people recover every single last dollar that is available to them. Best of all, we handle every single case under our no-win, no-fee guarantee, which means that you do not pay us anything unless we win or settle your case.
Contact Our Trusted Truck Accident Lawyers in Newark
If you suffered serious injuries or your loved one was killed in a commercial truck accident in Newark or a surrounding area in Alameda County, California, you should not delay in seeking legal help with your injury claim. Arash Law is run by the talented team of Arash Khorsandi, Esq. and more than 50 attorneys who have recovered more than $500 Million for our clients.
When you are dealing with severe injuries after any truck accident, our law firm is going to know how to fight to make sure that you get every dollar of compensation you are entitled to. We are willing to come to you in your hospital room or at home when you cannot come to our office.
Our firm has connections to the best doctors and medical treatment providers in California, so we can ensure that you can get all of the care that you will require. Call (888) 488-1391 or contact us online to set up a free consultation that will allow us to take a closer look at the details of your case and recommend all of the next steps you should be taking.1